MS Roald Amundsen
- An emphasis on natural materials mostly sourced from Norway
- Simple & clean design that is classically Scandinavian and allows the beauty of nature to take centre stage
- 20% reduction in harmful emissions
- Design created in collaboration between Rolls-Royce and the famous Norwegian yacht designer Espen Øino
- Will feature large observation decks, infinity pools and Jacuzzis where guests will be able to relax and embrace the beauty of the nature around them
- Has a strengthened hull specifically designed for breaching ice
From 2019, Hurtigruten will be introducing the revolutionary new ship, MS Roald Amundsen to the fleet. With state of the art features, this new vessel combines classic Hurtigruten comfort and hospitality with new environmentally sustainable technology that is a world first on a large ship.
A Sustainable Vision
The first of two hybrid ships that Hurtigruten is building, MS Roald Amundsen is an integral part of Hurtigruten's vision of a future with a dramatically reduced environmental footprint. Over the next few years, Hurtigruten will cut down their emissions through sailing with electric propulsion, as a leader in the future of shipping as silent and emission free.
The advanced construction of the hull coupled with hybrid technology will reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by as much as 20%, meaning MS Roald Amundsen will lead the way towards more sustainable travel. In total, the two ships will have a 6400 metric tons reduction in emissions – this is the equivalent to the yearly emissions of over 5500 modern cars!
So committed is Hurtigruten to their environmental vision, that these two ships represent the largest single investment in the history of Hurtigruten.